On Day 20 of Fast, Sonam Wangchuk Says “I Am Fine”, Appeals for 20 July March Hours Before Being Hospitalised

Sunil Negi
New Delhi: Hours before being forcibly taken to hospital by police early Saturday morning, climate activist Sonam Wangchuk had released a video message to the country from the hunger strike site at Jantar Mantar, saying he was still “perfectly well” on the 20th day of his indefinite fast and would join the peaceful march to Parliament on 20th July.
In the video that went viral on social media later, Wangchuk, wrapped in a white shawl and looking frail but composed, said: “May be my vital parts may be adversely affected and then the brain, but right now I am perfectly well. My brain is perfect.”
Appealing directly to citizens, he drew a parallel with past political upheavals. “In India, on the issue of onion prices being inflated, three governments came down in the past. But today the future of the students is at stake. There is no accountability for massive paper leaks and subsequent suicides by twenty students. This is a serious issue. I wonder if three governments came down on merely the issue of onion prices going up, then why are we mum today. The academic future of the students is at stake. We are just asking for accountability. Get up and participate in the 20th July rally from Jantar Mantar to Parliament House. I will be there with you.”
Wangchuk did not know that by next morning he would be “dragged in a white cloth” by policemen and admitted to Safdarjung Hospital against his wishes, along with other co-hunger strikers.
The police action came after the Deputy Commissioner of Police, New Delhi, asked all protesters to vacate Jantar Mantar citing prohibitory orders. Officials said the move was in compliance with directions issued two days earlier by a two-judge bench of the Delhi High Court, which, while hearing a PIL by advocate Saini, had ordered constant monitoring of Wangchuk’s health and hospitalisation if required to “save his precious life.”
Doctors at Safdarjung Hospital said Wangchuk and others brought in on Saturday were kept under observation, given fluids and electrolyte support. A medical bulletin is expected, but sources said his vitals were stable though weak due to 21 days without food.
The developments have triggered sharp reactions. Founder of Cockroach Janata Party, Abhijit Dipke, who has been camping with the protesters, said he was a “worried man” after ink was thrown at him at Jantar Mantar by a woman on Saturday evening. He alleged the attack was aimed at intimidating the movement.
A day earlier, Dipke had posted on X warning of attempts to disrupt the protest: “Goons tried to attack Sonam sir at Jantar Mantar. An object was thrown at him, but fortunately, he was not hurt. A few days ago, I had warned that people would be sent to Jantar Mantar to disrupt the protest after I was informed by an insider in the police. If anything happens to Sonam sir, the government will be responsible as there’s clearly a plan to dismantle the peaceful protest at Jantar Mantar.”
National Kisan leader Rakesh Tikait, who met Wangchuk earlier this week, reiterated support and said farmers with tractors and trolleys would join the 20th July “March to Parliament” from Jantar Mantar. Several political leaders, academics and film personalities have also visited the site in the last three weeks to express solidarity.
The protest began demanding accountability for paper leaks, exam reforms, and greater attention to Ladakh’s ecological and educational concerns, including the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. Over the last 48 hours, the demand has expanded to include calls for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s resignation, as announced by Dipke after the police action.
With Jantar Mantar now under heavy police deployment and prohibitory orders in place, organizers say they will regroup nearby and proceed with the 20th July rally as planned. Police said CCTV footage is being examined in connection with the ink-throwing incident and that law and order will be maintained.
As Wangchuk remains under medical care, his video appeal has added urgency to the call for the march. Whether the government reaches out for dialogue before 20th July, or the confrontation at Jantar Mantar escalates further, will decide the next course of this protest that has now entered its fourth week.




